Sunday, March 10, 2013

CELEBRATING MADELINE

FEBRUARY 14, 2013


My parents challenged us to write a letter to our Madeline Grace about her name sake Madeline Lee. We did this on Valentines in a way to celebrate Madeline Lee. Maddie and I wore green, read her journals, did some service and wrote this letter: I love my beautiful sister Madeline and miss her very much. I am grateful for my testimony of eternal families. I am so excited to see her again.


Dear Madeline Grace,

 

                Grandma and Grandpa asked us to write a letter to you about your name sake and what we hope you will emulate from her.  This is an awesome opportunity for me to write to you about your beautiful name.  Ever since Aunt Madeline passed away I have wanted to name a daughter after her. She was such an amazing person that I wanted my daughter to have that example in her life. When I found out you were a girl I was so excited. Dad says I always had Madeline Grace as your  name cemented in my head but I did entertain other names like Adelaide, Lucy, Olivia and Gabriela. I was worried that your aunts and uncles might be upset if I used it for many reasons…   However  I was listening to the October conference and heard a talk about how challenging the times are and how  strong teenagers must be. I felt the spirit strong that you being our first child and the first granddaughter, you  needed to be so strong to lead your brothers and sisters and cousins. I felt like giving you Madeline’s name could serve as an example of strength you could follow.  I hope you do. I hope you can turn to her journals and to her life when times are difficult.  We decided that your middle name should be Grace because through the grace of God you were brought into our lives. We had a difficult time getting you here and know that we were able to have you only through prayers and supplication to our Father in Heaven who lovingly blessed us with you. We are so grateful to have you in our lives. You bring us so much joy!

 

Today is your very first Valentine’s Day! Valentine’s Day is a very special day for our family. It is a day of love, joy and beauty  throughout the world but has a more significant meaning  for us. Eight years ago on this very day your beautiful aunt Madeline Lee, just sixteen years of age,  passed away. She chose a very appropriate day because it is one of love, joy and beauty; the very three words that come to my mind when I think of Madeline. She respected, shared and glowed  love, joy and beauty in all aspects of her life.  I hope you can find and share these three things in the aspects of your life as well.

 

                Madeline was very beautiful and did many beautiful things. I don’t want you to ever feel like you need to look like her or have the same interests as her. She was a beautiful dancer, a beautiful creator, a beautiful singer and writer. I didn’t name you Madeline to be her clone. You might have a more scientific brain like your father, or be interested in anything. I want you to be you. Just  find joy, beauty and love in whatever you do ! I hope you emulate some of Madeline’s characteristics and attributes that she worked on and developed. These are much more important than her interests.  

 

Madeline found joy, love and beauty in everything. One way we know this is through her journal writing. She was diligent in  keeping a journal especially during the last year of her life. Journal writing wasn’t a chore to her but she found joy in writing her thoughts, feelings and testimony to us. Her journals are a beautiful gift to us. We cherish them and feel her close as we read them. I hope that you will follow Madeline’s example and find joy in keeping your journal.

 

                Madeline found beauty in everyone. She was very inclusive and often fought for the underdog. She is a good loyal and loving friend. She found joy and love in making others feel they were special. This is also evident in how many people prayed and mourned for her during her passing. She also is just a joy to be around. She was so fun! One of my last memories with Madeline was a family trip to a playoff game for the U. Madeline and I laughed and laughed that trip, I don’t even remember why. I hope you can follow Madeline’s example of finding joy, love and beauty in others.

 

                Madeline found joy and beauty in overcoming obstacles. She is stubborn and determined. As a little girl she made her mind up to stop sucking her finger and just simply stopped. She was a middle child and often would scream to get her point out. One day she decided she wasn’t going to do that anymore and she simply didn’t.  I hope you can also find joy and beauty in overcoming obstacles.

 

                Madeline found joy, love and beauty in spending time with family. She often chose to stay home and be with family rather than be with friends. She understood that family is eternal and relished those relationships. We all feel like her close friend. I hope you will understand the importance of family and always find joy in spending your time with all of us.

 

                Madeline found joy, love and beauty in serving others. I think she gave her hair to locks of love twice. She was always up to some kind of good for others. For this reason I try to do something of service each Valentine’s in remembrance of her. From having my first graders sing songs to Old Folks to serving in the temple. I hope you can find joy in serving other as well.

 

                Above all is that Madeline’s light of joy love and beauty helps others know Christ. This to me is the most important characteristic Madeline has and that I hope you can have as well. She has a very strong testimony of the Savior. She knows he lives, knows he died for us and suffered for our sins and pains  and has a personal relationship with him. All of Madeline’s good qualities pointed to this. Her testimony was so strong for her age.  Madeline lived in a way in which she emulated the Savior, making good choices because of what she believed. But even in death she continues to bring others  closer to the Savior. Here on earth through the remembrance of how she lived and her testimony and in the next life as a missionary.  Dad blessed you in your blessing that you will have this ability like your name sake.  I hope you will always turn to her example in times of doubt.

                Madeline Grace, I hope you will find strength in your name. I hope you will find joy, love and beauty in all aspects of your life. I hope you will become a journal writer, become a loyal and loving friend, overcome obstacles, spend time with family, serve others and help others know Christ. I love you very much!

                                                                                Love,

                                                                                                Mom
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment